Choosing your custom domain is a really important step! Stand out among others in your industry, and improve your Google Search ranking.
Tips for choosing a good domain name:
- Keep it short - Use 10 characters or less if possible.
- Easy to remember - Will your customers be able to spell it? Can they remember it?
- Can you say it? - If your website was on a radio ad, could the DJ read it?
- Avoid special characters - Try not to add a lot of dashes or underscores. If your company name is not available, think of another way to make it recognizable, or choose a specialty domain. Don't just add numbers and dashes.
- Has a keyword - What you do should be in the name, like dancer, fashion, painter, plumber, mechanic, etc. This will help bump you up in Google search results. So instead of pipes.com, try pipesplumbing.com
- Make sure the words work together - When you take out the spaces, make sure you are not spelling misleading or inappropriate words in your language or others.
- Don't use trademarked names - Be sure you are not using other company’s names or misleading customers to think they are going to someone else's site. You could find yourself in trouble.
You can upgrade your domain by selecting Upgrade Domain to a custom domain on your site's dashboard. Upgrading your domain means choosing a custom domain and will require a Pro subscription.
If you would like to change your free .onuniverse.com subdomain you can do that at anytime. You can read more about changing your subdomain here.